Thursday, February 26, 2009

I got the curl!

Today I opened a new tub of butter. I took my fork, scooped out the cute little curl and laughed to myself.

When we were kids, my sister and I used to fight over who would "get" the curl. I know, it's not like it tastes any different from the rest of the butter in the tub, but when you're a kid, you'll fight about anything. We'd even sing it like Eddie Murphy sang about the ice cream: I got the curl, I got the curl. Once in a while, just to get one up, I'd open a brand new tub and sneak it while I was helping put away the groceries, even though the old butter wasn't all the way gone. Yes, it was cheating a bit. Big sisters are mean like that. ;-0

I'll probably chuckle about that for the rest of my days. It's part of what Joan Didion called "family shorthand," the strange and wonderful little things you do in your family that other families don't do and don't know about. (Hmm, that sounds like another great blog entry!)

So sorry, Sissy, but this time--I GOT THE CURL!

No comments:

Post a Comment