Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Night PBS

I've traded in my happy hour cocktails for a new guilty pleasure on Friday nights: Bill Moyers' Journal on PBS. Since the TV guide in our local paper doesn't list who the guests will be, I always tune in a little before 9:00 p.m. to see if I want to watch.

A couple of months ago, John Lithgow was discussing his recent run in Arther Miller's play "All My Sons" and other acting accomplishments. They went on to chat about his popular children's books and his latest book, Poet's Corner, which includes some of Lithgow's favorite poems. He read a Shakespeare poem that he'd read at his father's memorial service. It was from Cymbeline, and called "Fear no more the heat o' the sun." Even though it's a typical Shakespearian tongue-in-check piece, it was quite moving. Lithgow must really knock out his audience in person--he is quite a remarkable performance actor. I've decided I'd like to book Lithgow to read it aloud at my memorial service. LOL

Two or three Fridays ago, a poet named Nikki Giovanni was featured. She was soft-spoken but forthright and sassy; I liked her right away. I believe she now teaches at Virginia Tech. She shared how she had a crush on Billy Dee Williams, and how she'd confessed that to his wife, who didn't mind. (Or was it Denzel Washington? Not 100% on that.) Later she read poems from her book Love Poems and talked about how you need two things to learn how to ride a bicycle: trust and balance. She chuckled and said she'd realized that's all you need for most of life, too.

I'm thinking I agree. :)

Tomorrow I shall take my 40% book coupon to Borders and get Ms. Giovanni's book of poems. (I'll post the bicycle poem when I get the book.) But right now - it's time for the Journal!

Update at 9:30 p.m. - The show about John Lithgow was repeated tonight. Great to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment