Saturday, March 14, 2009

Erma Bombeck

Anybody besides me remember how funny Erma Bombeck used to be? My mom had a couple of her books and I read them when I was in middle school. She had such a genuine sense of humor and was hilarious without using foul language or crass situations. She talked a lot about David Susskind (a talk show host, apparently) and all the things she could do with pink plastic clothesline. Too damn funny.

Today as I was vacuuming, I had an Erma Bombeck moment. I picked up one of Caroline's shoes and stuck the end of the vacuum cleaner hose into it to suck out the sand instead of dumping the shoe out into the trash can. It was SO much faster! I accomplished this feat without one whit of Suzie Homemaker guilt or even a second thought, really. Oh, I'm sure somewhere June Cleaver and Carol Brady are clutching their pearls and gasping for breath. But I didn't waste too much time thinking about that..... instead I laughed at how Erma probably had done the same many times.

Other books my mom had that I enjoyed were written by Helen Gurley Brown (one of my all time favorite writers and life gurus) and Phyllis Diller. Both women had a wicked sense of humor!

I learned a lot from all these funny gals. Life is short; laughing makes it way more enjoyable. And the sooner the vacuuming is done, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment