Friday, January 2, 2009

Joan Didion

Yesterday I finished Joan Didion's book The Year of Magical Thinking. From the title it sounds like a happy book, but in reality it was a somber one in which she chronicles the first year after her husband's death. I'd seen Ms. Didion on an episode of Oprah back when I still watched the show regularly, maybe as much as two years ago? I can't recall now the single thing that I found so intriguing about her (there were most likely multiple things), but I remember going to Target and buying that book within a week of seeing the show. But I didn't make the time to read it until a few days ago. Once I began, I stole every spare moment I could to finish it. I couldn't put it down, really. On two occasions, I burst into tears while reading her words, and turned those pages down for future reference.

Her husband's name was John. Her birthday is the same day as Caroline's. And she is a firm believer in the adage Information is Power. She said that all her life, in times of trouble, she'd been taught to read, learn, work it up, go to the literature. Damn! Is it an accident that I'm just like that when I've never read that before?!

I don't know Joan Didion personally, and unfortunately will probably never run in her circle of friends, LOL. No matter how remote the connection, I felt that I developed a kinship with her. Her words really moved me. Wherever she is, I hope Ms. Didion continues to share her words in her quest for information.

Serendipity ain't for sissies. Information is power. Drink it in, and thirst for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment