Thursday, July 17, 2008

In the middle

Yesterday Granny and I took the kids to see the new Pixar movie "Wall-E." I wasn't sure John Sam would sit through it, and I had doubts any movie could hold his or Caroline's interest as much as "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles." Sometimes, I'm glad to be wrong! A lot of fidgeting in the beginning soon gave way to their being engrossed in the story. (Okay, the root beer, Skittles and Nerds helped - A LOT.) Not all movies are so adorable and ring so true as "Wall-E" did - if you have kids and haven't seen it yet, it's definitely on the list of things you simply must do with your kids. Don't miss it!

As a mother, I love observing the kids when they don't know I'm watching. Making mental videos of them as they learn, or fall in love with cartoon characters, or engage each other as only siblings can, is a talent I'm sure all moms have. During the movie, I turned my head to sneak a look at them . . . and I caught my own mom watching ME. I realized the same gush of fierce mommy love that I have for my children is the same love she has for me and my sister. Not only does she have the pleasure of doting on her big brood of grandchildren, after all these years, she's still observing and loving me with the same amount of pride, love & devotion I feel for my own babies. With the hustle and bustle of living our lives, we forget that we were once the center of our parents' worlds. How fortunate I am to get such a lovely reminder by taking a simple trip to the movies.

Thanks, Wall-E.

1 comment:

  1. AWWWWWW get the puffs..... It is the best feeling in the world to watch kids when they "DON'T" know you're watching...

    ReplyDelete