Thursday, September 4, 2014

Caves

"The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” ― Joseph Campbell 

I'm not afraid of the dark, but I do have night lights (nite lites? lmao) strategically placed around the house so when I wake up, I can see a tiny bit of light somewhere. It helps me navigate when I can't always see everything.

I've never been in a "real" cave. The closest thing is a huge den that my granddaddy's hunting dogs dug underneath a part of their backyard that sloped upward. The clay was orange, dry, and dusty, and the canine cavern they made was deep and completely dark inside. Roots of all sizes had been gnawed through to make it accessible, even though a lot of them stuck out of the sides of the clay at random angles. I'd walk up to the edge of it and lean my head to see if they were really in there. Every now and again, I'd see their eyes shine for a second. Otherwise it was dark. I couldn't see them, but I knew they were there because when I called their names, I heard their tails thumping on the ground.  I would wait for them to stop wagging, and I'd say their names again--more tail thumping.  They always went along with it no matter how many times I did it.  

Right now I'm standing at the foot of the cave, peering in and wondering what treasure(s) are inside. The ones I'm hoping for and ones I haven't thought of or dreamed of yet. I don't have a night light, but it's time to find a flashlight, get my ass up in there, and bring out what I'm meant to find.  I'll leave my fear inside the cave, which will give me more room to carry out the good stuff. Sounds like a fair trade--

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Fav Wench, enjoyed reading this blog! Talk about a blast from the past! Brought back some very treasured memories! Love her! MD

    ReplyDelete