Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jewelry Box

Did your mother have a jewelry box? Did you ever snoop in it? What did you find in there, and do you know the reasons why it held what it did?

My mom had a black jewelry box that was lined with red velvet. It had a lot of attached trays that folded out with the silver accordion-looking metal bars. I knew there was no tooth fairy after I found some of my baby teeth in one of the tiny compartments. I loved looking at all the trinkets and little tiny pieces of my mom's stuff. One of my friends got the ballerina jewelry box, then I had one of my own. I've owned quite a lot of jewelry boxes. I love boxes of all kinds, including the little hinged ones and the ones that have a lid and a separate piece.

Recently I realized that Caroline (and probably John Sam) had been looking in my jewelry box. This cherry looking one was given to me by my friend Colleen ("Colleenie Bobeenie Banana-fana Fo-fina") as a weddding present. It holds my charm bracelet and the few good necklaces I have: the opal heart, John Sam's birthstone; the red ruby heart trio from Granny; the ruby and diamond heart with 2000 on it from Sam. Also in there is the tennis bracelet Sam gave me for our first Christmas, my Photo Memory Bracelet, and a pin with John Sam's picture on it that he made me when he was in Mrs. Henley's pre-K class. I have a St. Christopher medal that my Aunt Jeannie gave me when I was a kid and two academic keys I won in my senior year of high school. I keep Caroline's baby jewelry (bracelets from Janice, Granny, and the ID bracelet we gave her for her first birthday). The photos on the lid of the box display my black & white profile photos of the kids. You can see my other little boxes too.

Most of what's in there is in there because of where I got it or who gave it to me. Priceless treasures with precious memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment