Saturday, April 11, 2009

One Plant, Two Colors

In our front yard there have always been two large rosebushes with pink blooms. They were here when we moved in, and were much bigger than they are now. I trimmed them back a couple years ago because they were unruly looking and parts of each bush were suffering while other parts were thriving. I go through stages where I look after them a lot, and other times, I kinda let them go.

Now that spring has arrived, I thought I'd spruce them up. I planned to trim them and dead-head them, which means cutting off the blooms that have dropped petals. So a couple of days ago, I noticed that one of the plants has two different colored roses. I thought it was a little strange, and figured maybe one of the roses had lost its color because it was an old bloom and was about to drop off after living a good and beautiful life. :)

But upon closer inspection, I have found that indeed there are two different color roses on the same bush. Both pink and white blooms have come out. They even look like two different varieties of roses! I'm going to file this one under "strange but wonderful." Tomorrow I'll google this and see if I can find out if this is a common occurrence. In the meantime, hope you enjoy these pictures.





















No comments:

Post a Comment