Friday, April 10, 2009

Chocolate Bunny Bummer

Once there was an adorable little candy shop called "Barbara's Chocolates." It was there I got the chocolate party cups with holiday designs made of icing--a Santa face at Christmas, tiny Easter eggs and bunnies, or colorful flowers for Mother's Day. They were shaped like Reese's cups but made of chocolate only. When I first moved to Orlando, I gave them frequently to my adopted nieces and nephews, and in later years to my own kids and my real nieces and nephews. I was well-known for pretending I'd forgotten to buy them, and people would even ask, "Hey, what happened to my Barbara's chocolates?" I'd grin my sneaky grin and then hide them into the stockings or gift packages I mailed, and feel happy that a family tradition had been created. A few years ago, Barbara sold the shop to some nice people who renamed it "Danay's Candies." I went there this past Christmas and loaded up on party cups and splurged on some toffee to split with Sam. I can still see the squares of tasty toffee with crushed toffee bark dusted all over the chocolate outside. Got milk?!

Yesterday, on the sly I went to the shopping center where the candy shop hides to buy some chocolate bunnies for the kids' Easter baskets. In the corner where my secret-candy-gettin'-place was, was a small, sad-looking hair salon.

**Sigh**

Well, I guess now I'll have to go to Harry & David's or Godiva's at the Florida Mall to get the chocolate bunnies. I'm sure they'll be just as yummy, but it won't be the same as getting them from a special shop that made 'em like they used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment