Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret . . ."

Remember that book for teenage girls called Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume? I can't tell you how many times I read it over and over. One of the most genuine books around, at least for girls. Wondering today if God is listening to anything I say/ask/write/pray. I finally received word yesterday (after the 3rd weekend of being left hanging, no less) that I didn't get a job I'd interviewed for. I was more disappointed than I thought I'd be once I knew for sure. Seems like I keep changing what I want. But I really was sad because it would've been a great position for me. Oh, I know what I'm supposed to say "God has something better in mind" or "You know, God takes care of sparrows and He'll take care of you, too." It's hard to keep upbeat when it feels like nobody is listening. And when you don't get what you want. And when you feel guilty that you're not feeling more positive about life in general.

But the darndest thing happens, even when I feel way down in the dumps. John Sam lost another tooth last night, and Caroline still tried to beat him getting dressed this morning. The world keeps turning around, and the sun will even come up later. Life marches on, no matter what's on my mind today. I am glad I've got a lot to keep me busy and maybe by the time I get a chance to rest idle, I'll notice that someone really does listen - on His own time. I need a little more practice with that!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes when we think
    "noone is listening" it is actually us who is not listening. Many times I go to God and ask, ask, ask and do not take the time to be still, be quiet and listen for His answer. And sometimes His answer is simply nothing. You hang in there buddy, Sorry I have been such a poor communicator. Just got back in town from a 3-day (FINAL!) volleyball tournament. Thouroughly enjoyed reading your blogs and LOVED seeing your babies. Love to you and everyone. Sox

    ReplyDelete