Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Change Will Do You Good

That's the name of a great song by Sheryl Crow. I think I'll be adding that to my iPod shortly... best at full volume at about 68 mph. LOL

More than a few years ago, the Orlando Sentinel held a poetry contest. I read some of the poems and cut one of them out. Ever since then, I've been saving the scrap of paper it has become. It's one of my favorite poems. (Of note: I didn't write the year on it, and I'm not sure why because I almost always do.)

When it appeared in the paper, a byline was also printed with it: This poem, written by John Rigsby, was submitted by his mother. John, who would have been a junior at Dr. Philips High, died July 19.

It seems timely today to share it.

The Mikasuki Indian
by John Rigsby

He stood
looking out
over swampland
nothing but mangroves
of an untouched Florida swamp
untouched by business
untouched by industry
just untouched
by anyone but nature herself
and the Indians

but the scene changes
for all things change
not always peaceful
not always simple.

He stood
eternally
and watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment