Tuesday, June 24, 2008

US Girls' Gymnastics - Olympic Trials

I quite enjoyed watching the Olympic Team Trials for the girls' gymnastics team last weekend. Watching those little tiny girls display their athletic talents was simply awesome! Shawn Johnson is the darling, of course, and her abilities definitely warrant her fan following and her first place finish to make the team. Second place went to Nastia Luikin, and I've got to say, she is one of my two favorites. If I could just find a website to buy those legs of hers . . . LMAO! She is tall and slender, and looks like a delicate ballerina. Just looking at her, you'd think she wouldn't have the strength to perform some of the more acrobatic elements. But once you see her in action, you know she has it all: strength, power, and tumbling that takes your breath away. My other favorite was Chelsie Memmel, who just a few months ago was considered out of the running due to a back injury, I think they said. If anybody counted her out, well, she showed them they've got another think coming. She nailed almost every routine. I love to see an underdog come out on top. Goosebumps, anyone?

They all make it look so easy. They're that good! They will finely represent the United States at the Beijing Olympics in August. I can't wait to watch. Makes a girl wanna get down to the gym this minute!

Back in the day, I had Olympic aspirations, too. Here's a funny photo of me from 1977 pretending to be Nadia Comaneci on a makeshift balance beam at my old elementary school.

1 comment:

  1. Wow look at the body~!~!~! I remember that and saying my sissy could be famous one day.... :0)

    ReplyDelete