Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An anniversary of sorts

March 26, 1990 was my first day on the job in Orlando. {The reason I can't remember other really important things is because I'm too busy remembering silly things like an "anniversary" from 18 years ago!! But I digress.....} The law firm was called Wells, Morrison, Davis & Bergstrom. I worked for Bob Morrison. The building where the firm was doesn't even exist anymore; now it's the back part of the parking lot for the Lynx bus station.

I can barely get my mind around the fact that I've lived in Orlando for 18 years. I remember driving home that first day and getting lost because in downtown Orlando, a lot of streets are one way. My friend Sue had told me the name of the street to take to get to work (Anderson St.), but she forgot to tell me the name of the street I needed to take to get home (South St.). The only places I knew how to go to were the office, the grocery store (I shopped at Albertson's then), and Walmart. Not Super Walmart, just the plain old regular Walmart that closed at the end of each day. Oh, and I knew how to walk next door from the office and have a cocktail or two at happy hour with Sue. The old DuPont Centre had a bar in the lobby called Bakerstreet. Now the bar is Harvey's Bistro and the building is owned by Bank of America. And I haven't been to "happy hour with the girls" since before I got married (1999).

Naturally, by now I've learned my way all around Orlando, and have seen lots of changes, both in the city and in my life, too. When I moved here, I was single and on a manhunt. ;) Now I'm an old mama, trying to raise two cute little kids and keep our crazy dog from sneaking out under the fence every night. My biggest worry back then was getting home without going the wrong way down a one way street. Now my worries are bigger and much more serious, but I am determined to face them head on. When things seem the bleakest, I remember how much courage it took to move all by myself to a place where I only knew 1 or 2 people and my two cats. I moved here to make a better life for myself. And I have! It's not trouble free, but it was the right move at the right time.

Funny how things usually turn out for the best.

1 comment:

  1. How do you remember that?! Boy, so much has changed since then -- for the better I think for the both of us. Great memories, thanks for remembering.

    ReplyDelete