Friday, July 6, 2012

More about Ms. Plath

It was mentioned to me that Sylvia Plath might not be a household name.  HA!  An explanation is due.  To learn more about Sylvia Plath, click http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/11

from Wikipedia:
"The Sylvia Plath effect is a term coined by psychologist James C. Kaufman in 2001 to refer to the phenomenon that poets are more susceptible to mental illness than other creative writers. Kaufman's work further demonstrated that female poets were more likely to suffer from mental illness than any other class of writers. In addition, female poets were more likely to be mentally ill than other eminent women, such as politicians, actresses, and artists. This finding has been discussed in many international newspapers, including the New York Times. The finding is consistent with other psychological research studies."

So.... I say I'm a Sylvia Plath mood when I am depressed and feel like hibernating a little bit.

No comment on the mental illness thing.  I will say I knew there was a good reason I never liked writing poetry.   ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment